Half Marathon
"Hmmm," I said to myself, "should I do this?"
You see, it is a little known fact, that one day I would like to run a marathon. But reality is I am a power-speed athlete. Always have been. So I don't want to run a marathon until I am not so powerful and not so fast, like when I hit my 40s.
However, in a recent discussion with some mates, I committed myself to a half marathon on June 4th. Training started yesterday with a 5km run. At a casual pace (with serious tightening in the calves and a slight cold), I ran 25:24.
I have 10 weeks or so to get ready. I am working on the training plan now. The overall plan is to develop enough stamina to last 21km. Then I will begin to increase my pace through some interval training. The tough part will be not attacking the training like a sprinter. I must be patient and conservative.
Stay tuned...
You see, it is a little known fact, that one day I would like to run a marathon. But reality is I am a power-speed athlete. Always have been. So I don't want to run a marathon until I am not so powerful and not so fast, like when I hit my 40s.
However, in a recent discussion with some mates, I committed myself to a half marathon on June 4th. Training started yesterday with a 5km run. At a casual pace (with serious tightening in the calves and a slight cold), I ran 25:24.
I have 10 weeks or so to get ready. I am working on the training plan now. The overall plan is to develop enough stamina to last 21km. Then I will begin to increase my pace through some interval training. The tough part will be not attacking the training like a sprinter. I must be patient and conservative.
Stay tuned...

2 Comments:
At 4:22 p.m.,
Lorraine said…
So, it's June 5th - how did it go?!
At 11:19 p.m.,
All Jacks' said…
It didn't. I had to back way off of the training due to injury. Then to top it all off, I got the weekend wrong when I booked our tickets to Australia. Missed the race. One day though...
Post a Comment
<< Home